Monday, November 30, 2009

Parang Attack at Birthday Party

Klang, Selangor on 28 Nov 2009
Five more people have been arrested in connection with a parang attack during a birthday party in Taman Sentosa here on Saturday. Two of the victims died and another two were seriously injured.

Acting Selangor Criminal Investigation Department deputy chief Assistant Commissioner Khaw Kok Chin said the suspects, aged 20 to 30, were picked up here and in Petaling Jaya.

"We have identified more suspects and it's a matter of time before they are arrested," he said.

A nephew of the two men who died -- Kalimuthu Subramaniam, 30, and Berbehananda Veerasamy @ Ravi, 42 -- denied that gang rivalry was behind the attack.

J. Sivamathavan said at Kalimuthu's and Ravi's funerals yesterday that a neighbour wanted to borrow a parang but he refused because the man was drunk.

"He said an enemy was attending a birthday party in the house opposite my row and he wanted to finish him off.

"Ten minutes later, two cars came and parked outside his house, but no one got out."

Sensing trouble, he called Ravi, who was at the birthday party, and reported the neighbour's remarks.

"Five minutes later, I heard a commotion and saw my two uncles and a few others in a heated argument with the neighbour.

"I was outside and saw my uncle slapping the neighbour. Then 10 men with parang jumped out of the cars and started slashing everyone, including my brother and me.

"I could only run for my life," said the 28-year-old lorry attendant.

Another injured victim, P. Selvaraja, 25, said he was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"I was there to collect my car from Kalimuthu. For no reason, I was also slashed," said the hairdresser.

Kalimuthu and Ravi were cremated at the Simpang Lima Hindu crematorium yesterday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment